While this might look like a sea sponge, this body scrubber is in fact made from a cucumber called Luffah (also spelled Luffa). It's skilfully hand-made, fits neatly into your hand, comes with a hanging loop and transforms into a soft, spongy and flexible pad when immersed in water.
Loofahs are a great replacement to plastic sponges and can be used for just about anything - from scrubbing dishes to exfoliating your back. It's suitable for non-stick pans and becomes flexible enough to fit into mugs.
Plastic sponges aren't generally made to last, which is why you get them in multi-packs. It's concerning that the manufacturers are treating them like disposable products, when they're absolutely not in environmental terms.
So why do we desperately want everyone to stop using plastic products?
- The equivalent of a truckload of plastic enters the oceans every minute.
- There are five trillion pieces of plastic in our oceans – enough to circle the Earth over 400 times.
- Using a standard plastic washing-up sponge releases microplastic particles into the water system with each tub of dishes.
- Ingestion of microplastic by sea life can transfer toxins up the food chain and into our food supply. That means not only are our oceans being ruined, but if you are a seafood consumer you will almost certainly be eating plastic
Plastic has reached epidemic proportions and the UN Oceans Chief described it as a “planetary crisis”. We need to all drastically reduce our plastic consumption today.
For more details on why we need to drastically reduce our overall plastic consumption visit our blog post here.
- Sponge is 100% loofah plant.
- Hanging loop made from cotton.
- 100% vegan.
- 100% biodegradable alternative to plastic exfoliator pads.
- Hand made in Egypt while ensuring fair wages.
- Packaged in recyclable card. There is a small clear biodegradable sticker holding it together which is made from cellulose.
Rinse thoroughly before first use. Soak and remove baked on food first. This Loofah will last for months with normal use and can be composted. You can pop it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle (cold water) but we advise hand-washing. Squeeze out excess water, shake or rinse out food bits and hang to dry after use to keep fresh.
Delivery & Returns
We offer free UK delivery on orders over £50.
UK Economy - £2.95
2-3 working days
UK First Class - £3.95
1-2 working days
In special circumstances, such as large orders, we will use DPD.
Please refer to our delivery & returns page for rates outside the UK, our returns policy and additional delivery information.