Plastic cotton buds are another single use plastic item that's prevalent in our ocean litter. These buds are such a simple but effective alternative, made from just bamboo and cotton: natural, compostable and plastic free!
Cotton buds are one of those little household single use plastic items that make a huge impact on the environment. For us, seeing cotton buds littering the UK beaches is an upsetting sight. To grasp the scale of the issue have a look at a few of the facts below.
- Over 1.8 billion plastic cotton buds are used in the UK every year.
- Due to improper disposal of buds via flushing down toilets there is a high level of pollution in inland waterways and the marine environment.
- Between 2015 and 2018 cotton buds were in the top 10 items found during the Marine Conservation Society’s Great British Beach Clean.
- Over time they break down in the ocean into microplastic. Ingestion of microplastic by sea life can transfer toxins up the food chain and into our food supply.
- The average seafood consumer in the UK will be ingesting about 11,000 plastic particles every year from plastic breaking down into microplastic in the ocean.
The health effects on microplastics are not yet confirmed. You can read more about microplastics and some of the possible health concerns here.
So why bamboo? Bamboo is a great sustainable alternative to plastic for a huge variety of reasons. A few key highlights of bamboo are:
- It's a shockingly fast growing plant.
- It requires far less water than similar plants.
- It's naturally antibacterial.
- It's naturally anti-fungal.
- It's incredibly strong.
We make sure all our bamboo products come from sustainable sources and are panda friendly. To see more please visit our blog post here and feel free to ask us any questions on social media or via email.
For details on why we need to drastically reduce our overall plastic consumption visit our blog post here.
- Made from bamboo and cotton.
- 100 buds.
- 100% biodegradable.
- 100% compostable.
- Packed in a recycled paper box.
After use you can pop them straight in your compost or organic waste.
Delivery & Returns
We offer free UK delivery on orders over £50.
UK Economy - £2.95
2-3 working days
UK First Class - £3.95
1-2 working days
In special circumstances, such as large orders, we will use DPD.
Please refer to our delivery & returns page for rates outside the UK, our returns policy and additional delivery information.