Natural plant-based floss made from waste corn by-product from the food industry. It's made from renewable resources instead of the normal crude oil plastic alternatives and uses 80% less greenhouse gasses than regular floss!
You can compost Eco Floss in your food caddy depending on where you live, or in the garden using a HotBin. You will reduce your carbon footprint, plastic waste and possibly be improving your health switching to this floss. Have a read of the environmental impact below to find out just how high impact this little item can have.
Dental floss is another single-use plastic still unnecessarily used world-wide with a surprisingly high impact on the environment:
- Typical floss is just nylon, which is a type of plastic derived from crude oil, wrapped around and packaged in plastic
- producing nylon creates nitrous oxide - a greenhouse gas that is 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
- The two of the largest sources of microplastic pollution in the ocean are nylon fishing nets and synthetic textile fibres that wear off during washing.
- Plastic takes hundreds of years to decay.
- Nylon still takes 50-80 years and has a huge carbon footprint.
- Nylon has biodegradable options that often leach toxic chemicals after use.
- Alternative floss such as silk normally involves boiling or gassing silkworms alive.
- Some common dental floss' contain chemicals ofa family known as PFAS. These chemicals can pass in to your bloodstream through the sensitive blood vessels in the mouth.
- There is a growing body of evidence that several chemicals in PFAS - those found in floss - are linked to a whole host of health issues. So much so, regulation is slowly banning them across the EU and USA. Imports from Asia however have been found to contain slightly different chemicals which are legal but are likely to cause the same effects. NGOs internationally are calling for regulation on the entire group of chemicals.
- Many types of floss are coated in petroleum and science to date indicates exposure to high levels is associated with some nasty stuff.
We finally have an eco-friendly alternative at our disposal so the only thing left to do is to make the swap today. Not only will you be helping reduce your plastic waste and carbon footprint with this floss - you could be choosing a healthier option too.
For details on why we need to drastically reduce our overall plastic consumption visit our blog post here or if you want to find out more about the effects of teflon on our environment you can visit our post here. Please bare in mind the most eco-friendly option is always to stick with what you have and only buy what you need, thank you.
- Made from 100% renewable resources.
- Made in the EU.
- 50 m bobbins.
- Plant-based biodegradable packaging.
- Compostable under conditions mentioned above.
- 100% plant-based.
- 100% vegan using food grade vegetal wax.
- 100% sustainable.
- 100% renewable resources.
- 80% fewer greenhouse gases than regular floss.
- Plant-based material from a previously wasted by-product from the food industry.
- Biodegradable without pollution.
- No GMOs.
- No palm oil.
Delivery & Returns
We offer free UK delivery on orders over £50.
UK Economy - £2.95
2-3 working days
UK First Class - £3.95
1-2 working days
In special circumstances, such as large orders, we will use DPD.
Please refer to our delivery & returns page for rates outside the UK, our returns policy and additional delivery information.